The Secret Is In The Soil
The Secret Of Great Soil
Areas shaded in orange show the abundance of well-drained, gently sloping, loamy soil having moderate to slow permiability-- soil perfect for raising horses. The map below covers an area approximately 45 miles wide and 90 miles long.
Did you know?......
- The American Paint Horse registry originated in Gainesville in 1962 by founder Rebecca Tyler Lockhart.
- The first Cutting Horse competitions were in 1920 at The Southwestern Exposition and Fat Stock Show in Fort Worth.
- Horses are measured in hands and a hand is four inches.
- The American Donkey & Mule Society is located in Denton County. A natural protector from coyotes, donkeys are often penned with horses.
- There are over 200 breeds of horses in the world.
- Three of the Four members of 2008 FEI USA Reining Team are from North Texas.
- The luckiest horse shoe of all is one off the hind leg of a gray mare.
- The leading all-time money earner in the National Reining Horse Association is from Tioga.
- Horses can see in two directions at once.
- American outlaw Sam Bass began his career as a horse racer in North Texas atop the famous Denton Mare.
- A newborn foal's legs are already 90% of the length they will be when full grown.
- Tioga native Gene Autry had 7 horses over the course of his career all named "Champion".
- A foal is able to stand just one hour after birth.